Heather Maxwell (Economically active)
Reference Number: A-0085
Preferred Geographical Work Area:
I would be available:
My Career Aspirations:
I love the world of herbs and spices with 16½ years of solid FMCG work experience spanning many different functions.
My objective would be to re-enter the area of training – GMP / food safety / occupational safety etc. within a people-focused environment where my proven skills set could be fully utilised to train staff enabling them to achieve the standards required by the South African Food industry whilst at the same time upskilling them on a personal level enabling them to take these learnt skills home, further educating and improving communities.
Summary of Work Experience:
16½ years of experience in the dry manufacturing flavour & seasoning industry, from Packaging development, implementing and managing the HACCP program and Document Control System (FSQ Intranet) with external audit scores setting the bench mark for the industry in South Africa to Occupational Health & Safety to Procurement (in depth knowledge of raw materials and packaging). I am an enthusiastic and loyal person with a passion for food, teaching people and building others.
Education & Achievements Summary:
Eductional Secretarial Diploma 1990 – Merit for Business English and Law
IPSA Packaging Technology Diploma 2002 – With Distinction
Internal Auditing SABS ISO 9000 Systems (SABS) 2003 (Cert # HPA039)
• HACCP in Food Processing (Von Holy Consulting) 2005
• PRP for HACCP and Food Safety (Von Holy Consulting) 2005
• Sasol Polymers – LDPE and LLDPE film technology 2006
• Internal Food Safety HACCP Auditing (Linda Jackson & Associates) 2006 (Cert # E/2006/04/SC)
• CORE First Line Managing Skills (Dyna) 2007
• STAR Auditing Principles (Africon) 2007 (Cert # FSQ1107)
• Auditing – Designing the Programme – Anya Knoetze 2007
• Allergen Management (Von Holy Consulting) 2008
• Practical Food Safety Auditing (AIB International) 2008
• COID Act – Lexis Nexis – 2008 (Cert # T8384/2008)
• Accident and Incident Management – Lexis Nexis – 2009 (Cert #T8741/2009)
• Contractor Management – Lexis Nexis – 2009 (Cert # T9008/2009)
• Basic Food Safety and Inspection (AIB International) 2009
• SAQA 123420 – Roles & Responsibilities of Trustees and Retirement Funds (ICTS) 2009
• SHE Management – Lexis Nexis 2010 (Cert # T9934/2010)
• Incoterms ® 2010 (2012)
• Internal Auditor Training (the Food Safety Network) 2012 (Cert # IAT/Aug12/001/SC)
• Basics of Supply Chain Management (SAPICS) 2012
• ILP (Informal Leadership Programme (Right Management) 2014
• Import and Export Management – Short Course- University of Cape Town Faculty of Law (80% average) 2016
• 5i Category Management (Positive Purchasing Ltd) 2016
• Formed an integral part of R&D efforts to reduce sodium in snack products in accordance with legislation – working with suppliers to reduce crystal particle size yet maintain NaCl levels.
•Moved large volume materials from McCormick UK (not a manufacturer of raw materials but historically supplied raw materials to McCormick SA) to source directly from globally approved suppliers, taking into consideration Incoterms and import duties to find the most cost effective and time-effective sources and shipping routes.
•By working to match a raw material to suit the company’s needs, it allowed the supplier to grow their business substantially as the changes then made to the raw material provided a larger range of customers. Although not a Food Technologist, I have substantial technical knowledge of raw materials and constantly strive to learn. (received a Star Thrower Award – Recognition).
•I worked to engage both the customer and the raw material supplier (fruit processor) on a number of field trips and laboratory tests for a period of 2½ years, which allowed McCormick to reduce customer complaints as well as obtain a saving of over 18% on a key raw material.
•Due to strong relationships and negotiation skills, when a system error ordered 2000kg vs 200kg of an Oleoresin – which was picked up only after the material was delivered (direct import) – although the supplier would not accept a return, I managed to obtain a “safe to use after expiry” document from their head of quality – which is unheard of in their business.
•Selected to attend 5i Category Management training in Shanghai, China (April 2016).
•Travelled to AVT McCormick India to understand chilli market and backward integration farming techniques (April 2014) which improved supplier relationships to the extent I obtained more favourable contract pricing.
Updated 3 months ago