SAAFFI-WITS Flavour & Fragrance Course 2022
Date(s) - 31/08/2022
REGISTRATIONS for the SAAFFI-WITS
FLAVOUR & FRAGRANCE COURSE 2022 are OPEN!
- • Live lectures and practicals at Wits University
- • Option for online participation
- • A proven asset to a career in the Flavour & Fragrance industry or any of the industries it serves.
- • A concise but comprehensive course covering most aspects of the intriguing world of Flavours & Fragrances, comprising 12 lectures and 3 hands-on practical sessions.
Space Strictly Limited
Payment Deadline 25 August 2022
Course commences 31 August 2022
- • Ideally, lectures should be attended at Wits University. A detailed schedule will be sent to registered students.
- • Lectures will also be distributed in an easy-to-use online format and available for subsequent viewing to revise.
- • Practical sessions will take place during September/October 2022.
- • Assessments are in the form of projects, with questions taken from relevant industry scenarios.
- • Graduating students receive impressive certificates.
- • Cost: R6000 + VAT per participant (includes all course notes and materials for practical sessions)
Lecturers are industry experts from the South African Flavour & Fragrance industry
Informative visit and tour of production sites of Flavour & Fragrance raw materials
Practical session applying flavours, fragrances and colours to FMCG products
A useful, practical introduction to Sensory Evaluation
– Access to Lecturers
– Recordings of lectures
– Downloadable resources
– Flexible schedule
Testimonials from previous participants:
- • I work in the supply chain of raw ingredients to manufacturing parties. This course broadened my knowledge on fragrances ….
- • This course will assist with knowledge and help me communicate more efficiently with customers when they discuss their process, requirements and ingredients currently in use.
- • This course, it gave me more confidence in supplying and understanding the market and enables me to be more reliant and have faster turnaround times for my customers’ requirements.
- • I loved the practicals, and these greatly assisted me with a more hands-on, in-depth experience of how things are made within the flavour and fragrance markets.
- • The SAAFFI-Wits Flavour and Fragrance Course broadened my understanding of the industry…coming from a fragrance background and understanding this area of the industry, I still learned a lot about the extraction of certain raw materials for the fragrance industry.
- • Having no experience in the flavour industry it was interesting in seeing how flavours are created, and also the wide application of flavours in the industry.
- • This course will help me professionally going forward with dealing with customers.
- • This course has been so enlightening in terms of the what the parameters of the flavour and fragrance industry is, who they service, and just how important flavour and fragrances are in our every day lives, Its impact is not only the obvious in the food we eat or perfume we wear, but far reaching in terms of our home cleaning materials, medication, hotel and shopping mall experiences and even in our memories of child hood experiences.
- • Before taking the SAAFI Wits Flavour and Fragrance course, I had a brief understanding of the basic workings and role of the flavour and fragrance industry. Since attending the course, my knowledge of the different spices, extracts, oleoresins, volatile compounds and fragrance notes has grown widely, as well as the differences between natural and synthetic fragrances and flavours has really opened my eyes and given me a lot of useful information for my future in this industry. It was wonderful to learn about all the different types of processes that are utilised in the creation and development of flavours and fragrances.
- • The projects have really helped me to think critically and logically about how to apply the work we have learnt to real world scenarios. I did a lot of outside research and extra reading to broaden my knowledge about the industry.
- • I now have a much greater understanding of the important role of chemistry in the research, creation and application of flavours and fragrances. This course has really helped me to understand the basic analytical instruments ad methods that I can now apply in the workplace and take with me into future endeavours.
- • Since I have no official studies nor extensive experience in the fragrance or flavour industry, this course has opened my eyes and mind into these industries. I was captivated by the art involved in the creation of a fragrance or flavouring, and the deep knowledge that is required to create something beautiful, but also stable, efficient and safe. There were also things that I found particularly fascinating, such as raw material extractions or the section of animal extracts. I even bought a small still designed for essential oil extraction, and we are planning to make some essential oils from different fruits and flowers that we have in a family plantation.
- • Finally, I wanted to highlight the depth of this course and the fact that the projects are divided in two parts with a substantial time between them. This force us to re-study all the material, resulting in a better learning process and knowledge retention. It is evidently well designed and executed. Thanks very much for the opportunity.
- • The course allowed me to understand my current working environment a lot better in terms of the processes that ensure our industry’s success.
- • The SAAFFI-Wits Flavour and Fragrance Course has broadened my understanding of the flavour and fragrance industry. The lectures have imparted how significant chemistry is in the combination and application of flavours and fragrances – as well as its research and development.
- • It has enabled me to converse with people involved in the industry with greater confidence as I have at least a passing knowledge of their work giving me the ability to push through sales and deal with customer complaints.
- • As this course was online it also allows you to study at your own pace. It is challenging when you have a full-time job.
- • The information presented was clear and simple to understand.
- • I am a qualified Organic Chemist with an Honours Degree. I have always had an appreciation and love for this field of science. The flavour and fragrance industry is very intriguing, riveting, captivating and fascinating, and full of creativity and adventure. The ability for flavours and fragrances to change or influence people’s behaviour through the power of taste and scent is very profound.
- • The SAAFFI-Wits Flavour and Fragrance Course has re-ignited my passion for this field of science and technology and has been a fantabulous refresher course for me on the raw materials, processes, products, and creativity within this industry. Furthermore, this course has provided great insight into advancement in science and technology related to the industry (i.e., biotechnology and instrumentation advancements, regulatory safety, and compliance advancements).
- • The Projects have allowed me to stretch my application and knowledge of the industry…
- • I would like to thank the SAAFFI and Wits management team for making this course accessible to not only budding students but industry professionals. The passion and commitment from all lecturers have been at the heart of the success of this course. The course material has been great is relaying a very complex science and field of expertise in a very simple and clearly articulate manner. Thank you!
- • As a sales executive for my company this course has helped a lot with having more insight to this amazing industry. When I communicate with colleagues and customers I understand more of what they talk about and their needs. I have learned that there is so much more to flavours and fragrances than just tasting and smelling nice …
- • I am currently employed as a flavourist at a flavour house …. This course has helped me better understand the extent of the industry as well as the basic building blocks that make up the industry.
- • This has been the greatest and most insightful course in my career thus far! I now look at my work from a totally different perspective
Executive Director, SAAFFI
Tel: +27 (0) 11 447 2757
Cell: +27 (0) 82 940 2757
Asst Executive Director, SAAFFI
Tel: +27 (0) 11 786 2585
Cell: +27 (0) 83 449 2696