Technical Sales Representative: Meat & Poultry
- Full Time
- Gauteng, Linbro Park
Reference number: V-0066
Lake Foods is the exclusive representative of leading international providers of specialty additives and ingredients in addition to supplying both manufactured and imported mineral processing aids. An extensive product range of commodity additives for the wine, dairy, sports nutrition, beverage, health, edible oil, bakery and meat industries is also promoted.
• Industry connections: o Strong practical background in meat / poultry/ allied (marinate / savory ingredient / consumable / equipment) industries. o Extensive knowledge and hands experience of processing environment – factory floor, operation experience. o Be / work towards becoming an expert on industry regulations, standards and requirements. o Be / work towards becoming an expert in technical application of ingredients / formulated solutions. Be able to advise customers on advantages and best practices.
• Sales product basket brief: o Sell a range of single and formulated products to the meat, poultry and allied processing industry. Be able to sell in terms of technical advantages as well as quality vs. cost benefits. o Identify own strengths and capitalize on selling against competitors weakness. o Promote current & new product range, and actively identify new commercial opportunities. o Understand the practical aspects of the products and be able to communicate to customers – both purchasing and production. o Cross sell other internal division products. o Constantly identify innovation projects that will enhance the company’s competitive position and motivate for investment / development.
• Selling actively brief: o Form excellent relationship with customers and focus on actively promoting products and services. o Hands on customer service across all customer departments – production, sales, marketing, NPD, accounting, costing, etc. AND across all levels i.e. top management, middle management, operational levels and general workers. o Form relevant relationships that will allow for opportunities to practically run trails on the factory floor. Be able to start, run end a complete factory trial, to keep records and to make both the customer and internal technical departments. o Be be held accountable for sales results and to work towards, reach and exceed sales targets in a highly pressurized environment. o Strengthen & expand business with existing customers, with the main focus on getting new customers across industry sectors AND to regain lost business. o Scan industry and general environment for changes in market dynamics. o Be completely up to date with competitor activity at all times, and position Lake Foods’ offering as a superior basket. Actively be aware of competitor activity and pro-actively strategize to retain / advance sales opportunities. o Actively provide sales and marking feedback to team. o Actively identify new sales potential – product offerings / lines / industries/ applications, and be able to accurately describe and quantify commercial potential. o Develop & execute sales & marketing plans. Be fully aware of all aspects of commerce – selling and cost pricing, margins, etc. o Manage customer prices & margins within set company parameters – be in line with budget requirement, and proactively give feedback on performance. o Maintain & update price lists & implement price increases on time and in line with the company and market expectations. o Actively communicate with customers. o Complete call reports and report on all sales activity. o Attend sales meetings and reach customer call targets as determined and agreed upon. o Work towards key performance indicators and be held responsible for the division’s commercial success.
• Team dynamics: o Be able to handle stress and function under pressure. o Be part of a high performance, cross functional team with strong commercial and technical acumen. o Be able to form the bridge between customer requirements and technical offering i.e. translate commercial need to the technical department. o Complete customer feedback loops. o Form a very good relationship with the technical department and ensure that deadlines are met. o Understand company procedure and comply 100% with product brief requirements. Understand and convey constraints that might negatively hamper commercial success both to internal departments and external customers. o Weekly, monthly & annual sales reports & presentations. o Assist with budgets and strategies.
• Intercompany dynamics: o Be able to work hand in hand with product development / technical / production / logistics / internal sales departments. o Assist with stock and production planning. o Assist with stock movement and sample allocation. o Assist with account functions i.e. credit applications, debtors, etc.
Food Science or related tertiary qualification an advantage.
3 – 5 years practical work experience on a meat / poultry processing plant (factory level).
3 – 5 years previous experience in selling principle driven products and / or commodities in fast moving consumer goods (food products) an advantage.
Valid driver’s license and own car.
Preferably system experience (e.g. Syspro).
Knowledge of food safety systems – e.g. ISO, FSSC.
Key Personal Characteristics:
Planning and organizing.
Attention to detail.
Must be prepared to travel across South Africa and if required into the rest of Africa, and to work on customer sites for extended periods.
Capable of maintaining existing customer Relationships & developing new customers.
Comfortable with presenting to customers.
Reference number: V-0066
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org